Sunday, June 24, 2012

Letter Sent on June, 4, 2012

Dear Family,

Hey! How are things back home? Crazy that the class of 2012 has graduated... Congrats and all that! Wow...Seems like just a few short months ago…time flies!  This past year has probably been the shortest of my life! Things here in Battambang are going good!  Elder Oleson's Zone Vision is to really focus on member missionary work and having real growth.  That is something that I also feel is very important and is something that I feel that we are doing better on.  We have been working a lot with getting ward missionaries involved in our lessons and we have seen some great things happen because of their help in reaching out to investigators, less actives, and recent converts.

It keeps coming up in our branch, for the need for home teaching and how many problems can be resolved and members strengthened as the Priesthood does this duty.  It is established but just not organized the best with companions being very far from each other and what not.  The branch president said that this week they want to meet and to reorganize things.  This is something that is really great and will help the work in Battambang progress a lot and strengthen the church here.

We have two investigators, Viisnaa and Davwii, who are new investigators; they are doing really great and already asking about when they can be baptized-because they want to join our Church- and for a Book of Mormon; it's very exciting to see their desire to learn and to embrace the gospel.

Our investigator Puu Sociat is struggling and feels that he can't overcome his addictions and he wants to stop learning for a little bit.. According to his wife Srei Doic,  it's really tough because I know that if he will really commit himself to it and rely on the Lord that he can do it! I love him and we will be praying hard for him and thanks for your prayers as well.

This week we also found a new couple of investigators as we stopped and helped an very old lady pull weeds (she's 73, very friendly lady) and her neighbor friend.  It was really neat to see how doing little acts of service softens hearts and opens opportunities.  We met them the next day. They are actually already Christian (which was surprising because I haven't really bumped into many older people that are Christian! They still do not totally understand our purpose, and I think they think that it is cool that we are foreigners coming over…haha, but as we continue to teach things will become more clear.  There is also a lot of potential for a bunch of other investigators from this family as well, who came and joined in the lesson with us.  I notice that as we truly strive to talk with everyone that many doors are opened and we will continue find those whom the Lord has put in our path.

I feel so very blessed to serve here in Cambodia, the people are all so kind and humble.  I feel that if I was in America that I'd bump into a bunch more grouches and get the door slammed in my face-but here you can just go up to about anyone and talk with them.  They have so little but are still so happy.  I am thankful for their Christ like examples.

I am thankful for my companion Elder Jensen and for all that I am learning from him.  We are very different but also have some things in common, and because of that, I am learning a lot and being stretched and becoming a better person.

The work is going well and we will continue to work our hardest. Thanks for all that you do and for your prayers in my behalf.  I love you!!

Love,
Elder Garlick
Pics; A little peek at the city of Battambang! I am not 100percent what these are...pretty gross looking! I think they said it's like medicine for something. Super cute little girl.








No comments:

Post a Comment