Monday, October 7, 2013

Letter Sent on December 17, 2012


Dear Family,


We have kinda lost and dropped some investigators lately and we have a bunch right now but with many of their schedules it is hard to meet them and they can only meet us once or twice a week. We had an investigator named Sopheak and some recent converts that just moved into the other Elder's area; so we'll miss them!! So we are finding we have lots of time when we don't have appointments and we are really going to crack down and search for less actives and CBRs.  I really want to continue to find all the less actives and especially the Melchizedek Priesthood holders and returned missionaries.  I feel maybe the Lord is wanting us to focus more on this and is maybe giving us time in our days to do it.
I am now with my new companion, Elder Jensen! He is huge!! He's like 6 foot 5. I feel like a little kid next to him. He is 19 years old, and is from Japan! Well originally from Ogden but he moved to Japan when he was 3 and he lived there for 14 years and knows Japanese better than English.  He went to Utah State for a year and wants to be an engineer.  He is super cool and real easy going, I am excited to serve with him! It is weird because this is the first time I have been older than my companion age wise and the first time I have been the companion that knows more of the language. Things are going good!
This week we were able to meet with a referral that we got from Salt Lake a week or two ago.  Her name is Uang Sombat and she is 58 years old and the mother of 8.  She has member family in America and they referred her to us somehow! Amazing.  For the past couple of weeks she has been far away taking care of her sick mother and we haven't been able to meet her.  Last time we called her she said that she should be back on Sunday and should be able to go to church.  We called her on Sunday to remind her and to describe where the church is.  We met her at the church and she told us her story of how she got there; she said that a few days before she was in Vietnam with her sick mother trying to help her get better and the doctors said that she was fine, then she came back to Cambodia and made it back to Takeo Province which is where a lot of her kids live. Ming Sombat didn't have any money and she remembered that she promised that she would go to church.  She prayed that she would be able to find a way to come in order that she could keep her promise.  She then was able to sell a chicken for $3.50 so she was able to get a ride in a van to TaKhmao.  She then spent 12.5 cents to ride in a trailer pulled by a motto from her house to closer to the church and then she walked a pretty good distance asking people for directions to get to the church.  And she kept her promise. We were able to follow her to her house as she rode on a motto trailer after church and met with her and 2 of her children.  She has learned about Christ before and was asking us if she could be baptized on the 31st of this month.  She told us that whole story (like 5 times) and about how happy she was to actually see the church.  I am so grateful for the Lord and know that He truly leads his children whom He has prepared to us and His restored Church.  I was so impressed with Sombat's faith and her love for the Lord.  I am looking forward to the privilege of teaching her. How blessed we are!
So yeah, things are going good here! We'll continue to work our hardest! Hope you know I love you and I miss you.  Christmas is almost here...8 more days! I am super excited to talk to you next week!:) Have a great one!
Love,
Elder Garlick

No comments:

Post a Comment