Monday, October 21, 2013

Letter Sent on July 1, 2013


Dear Family,

Hey how are ya?:) This week has been really great and really crazy all at once! It sounds like you have all been experiencing some warm temperatures, pretty similar to Cambodia! The past few days have been really hot here as well, but it's pretty normal to be constantly sweaty by now :)

So, guess what? I have some great news! This past week Elder Fisher and I went to go and meet with that family we are teaching who are actually not a family yet-Vantha and Chanta- remember them? They are a really young couple and are not married yet but were living together so they could not be baptized.  We were kind of at a wall because they said that they could not move to different houses but that they also could not get married at the time because of their school situation and how  if they got married they couldn't finish learning.. But they said that they really wanted to keep the Lord's commandments... nothing was really changing and they were just at this wall and then last week we went to go meet with them and Chanta was home and was like, "Hey Elders this week we are going to get baptized on the 30th?" and we were like, "What??" and then she proceeded to tell us how Vantha was no longer living there but had rented another place across the street! We were so happy.

Soon after Vantha came from work to meet with us and he told us that he really wanted to keep the Lord's commandments and so had rented a different place to live in and that after he had moved there he was like, "Wow...I can be baptized now!" So this was a super cool miracle that we saw this past week and a big step of faith on their part. I really feel that the Lord really touched their hearts and blessed them with the desire and the means to follow His commandments and to be baptized! We actually still have a little more to teach but the plan is for them to be baptized this Sunday the 7th of July! :)  That was a definite highlight of the week and they are both doing wonderful!

Also, transfer calls were last night...and guess who is the new Assistant to the President?... Elder Fisher! I am really excited for him and am going to miss him a lot I am sure. He is one of my favorite companions. He is going to do really good and a lot of people really respect him, myself included! I am pretty stoked though because I really didn't want to leave the area and now I get the privilege of serving here for one more transfer! There are going to be some changes though-they are temporarily splitting the North Zone of Phnom Penh and I am going to be a zone leader over 2 districts and then Elder Lyman will be a zone leader over the other district. So the workload will be a little more because now  I will not be with a co-zoneleader companion but I am still super excited. My new companion will be Elder Khem who is Cambodian but is from America, he has been in the country for almost 2 transfers now  and I am looking forward to serving with him. Also, they are taking the other set of Elders out of Teuk Thla and they are putting a set of sister missonaries in. We will probably just cover the whole branch and share investigators and so now I need to get to know all of Elder Edmunds and Elder Vore's area! So I don't know if any of this makes sense but time keeps moving forward rapidly-it seems like not so long ago that Elder Fisher and I were just assigned to be companions and already we are on to new things!

So for the next few days I will be with Elder Edmunds and with Elder Vore; Elder Edmunds lives in the same cul-de-sac as Grandpa Busenbark! He ends his mission this week. His family is actually come here to pick him up and they got permission to come to our branch yesterday and then this morning they took us all out to this SUPER nice breakfast buffet at the hotel they are staying at. They are all so nice and it was really fun to get to know them a little. If you get the chance you should go to Elder Edmunds homecoming! I don't know when it is but you could ask Grandpa :) Elder Edmunds is a great friend and one of the best missionaries that I know.

Things are going great here in Teuk Thla and I pray that things continue to go great for you all back home, have a good week!

 

With Love,

Elder Garlick

No comments:

Post a Comment