Hey how's it all going??
I'm doing good! This week has been pretty great! It's real hawt! It's the hottest time of the year and from what I've heard next month is the hottest! Wheew! Never sweated this much in my life! But then in May it starts to rain a lot and cools down some. Biking is fun :) We bike down a bunch of rocky roads (mmm. that sounds good right now) so that calls for lots of tire repairs and whatnot-no biggie though! Just imagine taking a beach cruiser with no shocks mountain biking-haha!:)
This week Villai is doing really great we asked her to pray about Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the gospel. She told us yesterday that she had and that when she reads the Book of Mormon she just really feels that it is true. We then watched the Restoration video in Cambodian and she said that this really helped her understand better, it was such a calm and peaceful lesson. We have committed her to baptism on May 12!!:)
So this week my District Leader, Elder Wright, went on an exchange with Elder Nebeker in my area for a day and so I was with Elder Sin (haha, I know right?:) for the day! Yeah that was interesting. He is new too and so it was kinda rough at times because we are both greenies, but at least he's Cambodian and he really knows a lot of English. But yeah its good for me to just get immersed more in the language and not be able to lean on English. He is such a kind and humble Elder and he is really just so patient with me; I have SO much to learn from him and from all of the Elders and Sisters in my District!
I am inspired by these him and Elder Khlot who is the other Cambodian Elder in my District (of 8). We were all going around getting to know each other at lunch after a district meeting last week at our senior couple, the Yeates' home, and Elder Sin told and one of the other Elders has told me that he would just go out with the missionaries and help them all the time before his mission. The Cambodian Elders have to save up so much money before they can go on a mission and Elder Khlot told us how he worked for 3 years in order to save for his. That's crazy right?? Crazy cool. They are just so incredible and great examples to me!
Strengthening my prayers has been something that has been on my mind a lot lately. Okay this is probably my favorite scripture, definitely up there, Alma 37:36-37. "Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yeah, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and withers ever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yeah, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever. Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day." I love this principle of just not telling our prayers but actually crying unto God and counsel with Him in all our doings. Too often I just say pray and then go and do without continuing to have that prayer in my heart and directing my thoughts and actions unto him. I actually listened to this talk by Elder Bednar yesterday, "Pray Always". I learned so much about gratitude and making my prayers more powerful and meaningful. Check it out, I'd HIGHLY recommend it! (October 2008 conference)
Anywho I am so thankful for prayer and I know that it is real and powerful; every time I pray sincerely I always feel better and uplifted. We have a Heavenly Father who loves us more than we know. He watches over us, cries with us, and celebrates with us, he listens to us. I know prayer is how we communicate with Him. And what an incredible blessing it is.
Thank you for all of your emails, support, and prayers, they mean the world to me. Really. I hope that you are doing great and have a great week!
Love,
Elder Garlick
PS. Sorry if my emails don't make any sense. I just kinda slap whatever comes to mind down on the keyboard and so uh...yeah, haha, if so, sorry, my bad :)
Some Pics:
Cool looking sun. The District President for Battambang, we live across the street from him; we tried out helping them pull off feathers from these quail, fun experience! Tried to get a picture of this sunset...had to move back some and then this random guy jumps in the picture, no idea who he was; funny guy though! The primary kids after their program yesterday, cute. Our lovely home :)
I'm doing good! This week has been pretty great! It's real hawt! It's the hottest time of the year and from what I've heard next month is the hottest! Wheew! Never sweated this much in my life! But then in May it starts to rain a lot and cools down some. Biking is fun :) We bike down a bunch of rocky roads (mmm. that sounds good right now) so that calls for lots of tire repairs and whatnot-no biggie though! Just imagine taking a beach cruiser with no shocks mountain biking-haha!:)
This week Villai is doing really great we asked her to pray about Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the gospel. She told us yesterday that she had and that when she reads the Book of Mormon she just really feels that it is true. We then watched the Restoration video in Cambodian and she said that this really helped her understand better, it was such a calm and peaceful lesson. We have committed her to baptism on May 12!!:)
So this week my District Leader, Elder Wright, went on an exchange with Elder Nebeker in my area for a day and so I was with Elder Sin (haha, I know right?:) for the day! Yeah that was interesting. He is new too and so it was kinda rough at times because we are both greenies, but at least he's Cambodian and he really knows a lot of English. But yeah its good for me to just get immersed more in the language and not be able to lean on English. He is such a kind and humble Elder and he is really just so patient with me; I have SO much to learn from him and from all of the Elders and Sisters in my District!
I am inspired by these him and Elder Khlot who is the other Cambodian Elder in my District (of 8). We were all going around getting to know each other at lunch after a district meeting last week at our senior couple, the Yeates' home, and Elder Sin told and one of the other Elders has told me that he would just go out with the missionaries and help them all the time before his mission. The Cambodian Elders have to save up so much money before they can go on a mission and Elder Khlot told us how he worked for 3 years in order to save for his. That's crazy right?? Crazy cool. They are just so incredible and great examples to me!
Strengthening my prayers has been something that has been on my mind a lot lately. Okay this is probably my favorite scripture, definitely up there, Alma 37:36-37. "Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yeah, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and withers ever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yeah, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever. Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day." I love this principle of just not telling our prayers but actually crying unto God and counsel with Him in all our doings. Too often I just say pray and then go and do without continuing to have that prayer in my heart and directing my thoughts and actions unto him. I actually listened to this talk by Elder Bednar yesterday, "Pray Always". I learned so much about gratitude and making my prayers more powerful and meaningful. Check it out, I'd HIGHLY recommend it! (October 2008 conference)
Anywho I am so thankful for prayer and I know that it is real and powerful; every time I pray sincerely I always feel better and uplifted. We have a Heavenly Father who loves us more than we know. He watches over us, cries with us, and celebrates with us, he listens to us. I know prayer is how we communicate with Him. And what an incredible blessing it is.
Thank you for all of your emails, support, and prayers, they mean the world to me. Really. I hope that you are doing great and have a great week!
Love,
Elder Garlick
PS. Sorry if my emails don't make any sense. I just kinda slap whatever comes to mind down on the keyboard and so uh...yeah, haha, if so, sorry, my bad :)
Some Pics:
Cool looking sun. The District President for Battambang, we live across the street from him; we tried out helping them pull off feathers from these quail, fun experience! Tried to get a picture of this sunset...had to move back some and then this random guy jumps in the picture, no idea who he was; funny guy though! The primary kids after their program yesterday, cute. Our lovely home :)






No comments:
Post a Comment