Sunday, April 22, 2012

Letter Sent on April 16, 2012



I hope you had a great week! This week was a good one for me; we had the Khmer New Year and so that meant that a lot people are out of town and busy.  It is the biggest holiday of the year here.  It was on Friday(the 13th, creepy) and so on Friday and Saturday we did not prosolite(spelling?) so on Friday, we had a deep house cleaning for half of the day and filling out member CBR's(Convert Baptismal Records) for the other half. And on Saturday, we had a sports day for half the day and did CBRs for the other half.  It was a lot of fun and it was nice having a short break from regular prosoliting to bond as a district and to get our bearings on members that would need some help.
Elder Oleson, my zone leader and a missionary I really look up to, and I did a split last P-Day in which he taught about his zone vision and taught me other great principles of missionary work.  I learned a great deal and the spirit was very strong and definitely guiding our efforts.  Quick experience, we were prosoliting in my area for the day and I had forgotten to grab my keys...and Elder Nebeker with his keys was at a market on the other side of Battambang, so Elder Oleson and I couldn't get into our house and had to go and leave our stuff at the District Presidents house across the street.  We were really hungry and had to go to a restaurant to eat some dinner before our preparation day was expired.  We went and I was pretty frustrated at myself and that I hadn't got some stuff done that I wanted to.. After we got done eating there was a man from England, named Johnny, at the restaurant too.  He actually spoke Cambodian and Elder Oleson asked him how he learned it; turns out Johnny teaches at a Bible school and we got talking with him about what brought him here and he wanted to know why we serve and more about our religion. He sat down by us and asked us a lot about our beliefs.  We had a great conversation that did not become contentious (which was something I was kinda worried about) we taught him some of the truths we know and shared our testimonies with him.  We gave him a Khmer Book of Mormon and got his phone number so that we can give him an English copy.  He was a very kind and sincere man and really was interested in what we believed in. The Spirit was really strong and I just felt so warm inside as we were talking and testifying to him, and afterwards I just felt so good.  We then had a couple of great lessons in which the Spirit was definitely present and was guiding us throughout the rest of the day with contacting and where we needed to go.  We taught a Less active man whom we had a great lesson with.  Elder Oleson said that it was a miracle how much he's is softening because he was not very friendly to the missionaries a few months ago.  We both felt like the hand of the Lord was definitely guiding us to go to that restaurant and to meet with Johnny; even if we didn't know it at the time.  I believe that the Hand of the Lord is in all of our lives each and every day and we sometimes just don't recognize it. (O Remember, Remember-President Eyring, good talk.)  I don't know if Johnny will join the church or anything but I do know that us meeting him definitely strengthened us and set a spiritual tone for the whole rest of the day.  For that I am very grateful.  Truly the Lord does bless us with His tender mercies every day. And I know that if we will do our best and keep our covenants, if we will be good boys and good girls, that he will guide us where we need to go.
I feel like the past few weeks have been rough and we have done a lot of planning, learning, and goal setting.  Now that they Khmer New Year is over we should be able to meet a lot of our investigators who have been out of town and busy.  I think a lot of great stuff is coming up ahead and that as we work our hardest and trust the Lord some incredible things are definitely going to happen.
Welp, folks that's it for today. Thanks for everything and I love reading your emails! Most of all thanks for your prayers.  Have a great week! I love you. a lot.
Love,
Elder Garlick

Pics;Lizard, This statue thing is made of pieces of guns it is really cool!, a nice view by the river.






No comments:

Post a Comment