Sunday, April 22, 2012

Letter Sent on March 4, 2012


Hey Family and Friends!



I hope that all is well! Things here are going real good. This week has been good lots and lots of biking, teaching, and good ol' work!  Welp, right now it's like 1 in the afternoon and you (11pm) a lot of you are probably still up perhaps getting ready for bed and some of you older folks, snoozing:)  Some random stuff about Cambodians.  They love to watch cheesy Chinese Soap Operas dubbed over with Cambodian, the streets, again, are just insane everyone just does whatever they want and it just seems to work out, they love "Angry Birds" I always see people wearing Angry Birds stuff, um...I had a lot of other things that I had thought of earlier but I can't think of them now..We are not allowed to eat from street vendors or from members which is a newer mission rule because there was just tons of missionaries sick and they decided to do this and the number went down dramatically.  So we have to make all of our food or go to restaurants.  Lots of PB&J's and rice.  Usually we go and buy pork and rice in the morning with some sauce for breakfast-real cheap, 75 cents:)

We have an investigator named Boong Srei Doit whom Elder Nebeker will be baptizing on Saturday and so that is something that I am looking forward to!  She is so ready and has such incredible faith and willingness to follow Christ.  My testimony of the Book of Mormon continues to grow-I continue to find answers and comfort from it and I know that it is vital to gaining a testimony.  We were teaching a lesson to a lady and her two sisters and her husband has joined us for a couple and he was really just not to interested but I watched as he was reading from a pamphlet while we were teaching his family about Christ and as we read from Mosiah 3 about the Savior, he was touched and really impressed and said that he would actually try to read the Book of Mormon even though he is incredibly busy.  The Book of Mormon is just so powerful and does miracles.  Softening hearts and changing lives, it truly makes our job easy and possible.  I heard once, "If the Book of Mormon had legs and could talk, we wouldn't need any missionaries."  I love it and my testimony in its divinity continues to grow.

As a missionary I am so blessed to see miracles every day.  I think I have seen them my whole life but that I'm just being more aware of them now.  I remember a talk by Pres. Eyring called "O Remember, Remember" about recognizing the Hand of the Lord everyday and how as we do so our love, gratitude, and testimony of Him will grow.  And I read in the Liahona a talk by Elder Bednar about the tender mercies of the Lord.  I received a letter from a friend in the MTC where I was counseled to write down the hand of the Lord and recognize His tender mercies.  This is something I am going to do and I would invite you to do the same!  I know we'll recognize His love and Hand in our lives and our testimonies and love will grow tremendously!

I have been struggling a lot to be honest, the first week of my mission was just very difficult more difficult than I would have anticipated.  Learning a new language, the heat, and just staying so busy! I sometimes just feel lonely and frustrated.  I am learning now more than ever and being grateful for the Savior.  I am so grateful for His Atonement and that when we feel alone and when times are hard he is there for us.  I am so grateful for prayer and know that it is powerful.  Our Heavenly Father loves us all so much and I am so thankful for prayer and the comfort of the Holy Ghost.  I know that things are not going to always be easy but I know that with Him everything will work out.  I love Him and I love you!

Thanks for all of your words of encouragement and for reminding me to not get discouraged-great advice. Have a great week thanks for your prayers and I pray for you!



Love,

Elder Garlick


Pictures: Srei Doits cute kids, I am with Elder Khlot and Elder Sin right now because Elder Nebeker is at leadership training in Phnom Penh...so this is going to be interesting cause they don't speak a whole lot of English:) And then Elder (ham)Nebeker




No comments:

Post a Comment